BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND Twitter Backgrounds »

Monday, September 12, 2011

"I spoke the words but never gave a thought to what they all could mean..."

      This the first time I have ever blogged. Even on social networks like Facebook or Myspace, I have never been one to post many statuses or share many of my thoughts. I have never even kept a journal unless forced to for a class. However I'm excited to start this blog and record my ideas because I believe it will be a great way for me to reflect on my words, thoughts, beliefs, and ultimately myself. Even as an English major I know that I, along with many others, seem to overlook and underestimate the strength of our words. Whether written or spoken, we often forget to consider how our words can impact not only ourselves, but also those around us. We seldom take the time to truly and fully understand our own words; how we use them, why we use them, and what they imply. Yet the power behind words is quite amazing. Depending on what is said and how it is said, one can use words to inspire or dissuade, to hurt or to heal, to create or destruct. Hopefully blogging will be a good learning experience because it will give me the opportunity to truly think about my what my words really mean to me and to others.

      Through this blog I hope to be able to reflect on my own writing and therefore strengthen and develop my own voice. It is important for us as students and future teachers to explore and discover our voices so that we can eventually share them with the world. Blogging is also a great way to practice clearly and effectively expressing my voice. As a future teacher I hope to someday show my students the necessity of voice and its value to humanity. While helping students develop their voice, it is important for them to understand that it is their right to be heard - all voices deserve to be heard. 
      We should be sympathetic to any differences in voices, perspectives, opinions, and ideas. We must learn to find the beauty and new knowledge in viewpoints different from our own. And while some people find comfort in words, others may choose to express their voice through different yet still valuable mediums. Whether it be art, photography, music, dance, or theater, every human being has something worthwhile to "say" and contribute to this chaotic mess we call life. If we are hesitant to share our voices and too ignorant to listen to the voices of others, we put ourselves in danger of missing out on the chance to expand our minds and truly experience life.  

0 comments: