BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND Twitter Backgrounds »

Tuesday, November 1, 2011

I taste blood... literally.

So Halloween is usually my favorite holiday! However this year because of work and unexpected snow most of my plans were cancelled and I was not able to celebrate Halloween the way I usually do every year. On top of the terrible weather Saturday, the next morning around 3am I woke up with a terrible throbbing pain in my mouth! The pain was so unbearable that I could barely sleep. After popping about a million and one Motrins the pain became some what tolerable and I counted down the hours until the dentist's office would be open, only to realize that it was Sunday and the office would be closed all day.

Now I've had toothaches before (I have a horrible record with teeth. I had four root canals done by the time I was 17 years old.), but this one was just plain annoying. It wasn't completely unbearable, it was just distracting. I couldn't sit in peace without thinking about the pain and wondering what was causing it or when would it disappear. When Monday morning surely but eventually arrived I called Dr. Hakimi at exactly 10am, when their office opened. Luckily, they were able to squeeze me in and within the next 15 minutes I was sitting patiently in the waiting room.

Dr. Hakimi took x-rays right away and to my surprise it was not a cavity, it was my wisdom tooth. My upper wisdom tooth had been growing in crooked, hitting my back molar and causing a lot of pain. The dentist said he would extract it today. This had me scared senseless because my last experience with getting a tooth pulled was painful. The dentist had not used enough Novocaine and when he yanked at my tooth I felt the pain shooting through my jaw. I reluctantly signed the form allowing Dr. Hakimi and his assistant to do the tooth extraction. The procedure went well, Dr. Hakimi used enough numbing medication. However after the novocaine wore off, my mouth was swollen and sore all day. The worst part however was the blood. All Halloween long my mouth bleed and bleed, and I was forced to taste my own blood all day long instead of munching on candy like everyone else. Sometimes there would be some much blood that it would stain my teeth. I suppose this look was fitting for Halloween.  
 

0 comments: